Wednesday, October 12, 2011

[BC] Steve Jobs

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

—Steve Jobs, in a 2005 speech
   Steve Jobs makes some very interesting points in this excerpt from his speech. I strongly agree with his advice of "living everyday as if it was your last." It's true that we'll never know when death decides to pay us a visit; All we can do is cherish every day we are given. Although, this isn't the easiest thing to do. We all have bad days where things just don't want to go our way. And honestly, I don't think it's possible to have a day good enough to be considered your last.
   If I was to plan my perfect last day, I don't think I would spend it with my family. If I did my day would just be spent crying over not begin able to see my family anymore. That doesn't sounds like a fun way to spend my last day. I want to be able to enjoy it! So I would either want to be alone or with whatever boyfriend (or husband) I had at the time. The day would be spent doing the things I've always wanted to do. And at night I'd lay out alone underneth the stars and reflect on my life. But the thing is I don't know when my last day will come, so it's not possible for me to plan this out ahead of time.
   If I started following Steve Job's advice tomorrow I think I would learn to be less shy. I'm not the most confident person but if I focused on this message everyday day I don't think I would care as much about of what others think of me. I wouldn't care about messing up or looking stupid cause you only get one life, so you shouldn't let others keep you from living yours to the fullest. I think I would also begin to truly appericate my situation. My life is great, even if somedays I might not believe it. I have shelter, food, health, and an education. Some people in other parts of the world don't have these things I take for granted. So I should appericate what I have while I have it.
   The advice I would given to people about how to "make the big choices in life" is to follow your heart. Don't over think your decisions and worry what other people will think of them. All that matters at the end of the day is that you're content with yourself and the choices you've made.


No comments:

Post a Comment