Tuesday, October 11, 2011

[FREE] Stay With Me

 
                The old two-story house stared angrily down upon us. It had been vacant for over twenty years. You could imagine why people claimed it was haunted. The chipped paint, mysterious shadows, creepy noises, untrimmed lawn. All these added to its haunted factor. I wasn’t one to believe in ghosts but I couldn’t seem to ignore the bad vibe coming from the house.
                “Can you come in with me?” Cameron whined, “Just for a minute, please?”
                Cameron was dared to enter the house and, like the “macho” man he was, he accepted. I looked up towards the second floor windows when I saw one of the curtains fall closed.
                “Did you see that?!” I asked startled, “That curtain just moved!”
                Cameron rolled his eyes, “It’s probably just a draft. This house is hella old.”
                I put on a fake smile as I grabbed his hand for courage. Cameron reached for the door handle first which was unfortunately unlocked. We both stepped inside as he closed the door firmly behind us.
                “Lets play hide-and-seek.” Cameron suggested.
                My body tensed up and I strangely felt the need to whisper,”No. We don’t even know this place.”
                “Exactly! It’s more fun this way.”
                I sighed, for once again I decided to give in to him, “You have 60 seconds.”
                “Thanks babe.” He grinned giving me a quick kiss on the cheek.
                I closed my eyes and began to count out loud. This would be easier than I thought since the floor began to creak wherever Cameron stepped. My ears carefully listened to him make his way up the stairs and down the hall. A door closed soon after.
                “Ready or not, here I come!” I yelled.
                My eyes slowly began to adjust to the room and its contents. A dusty brick fireplace was on my left along with a decaying kitchen. To my right were the stairs and what I assumed to be a door to the garage.
                With a deep breath I made my way up the stairs. The second floor was definitely darker except for the pale yellow light coming from the window at the end of the hall. My body suddenly became cold. Whether from fear or change in temperature I couldn’t tell. I chose to check the rooms on the left first. The first door I saw I kicked in, not wanting to touch the door knob.
                Cameron wasn’t there.
I turned back to the other end of the hall realizing I had heard Cameron walk in that direction. Then I froze. Someone was standing right behind me. Goosebumps covered my skin as the person’s cold breath hit my neck. I didn’t know what to do.
                Without warning I was flipped onto my stomach and dragged down the hall. Now I knew what to do: scream. I managed to yell for Cameron just before a door slammed shut in front of me. I quickly slid over to the opposite wall of the door under a window. I shivered as I realized it was the same window where I saw the curtain move. The narrow rectangle of light made me feel slightly safer in the dark room.
                A faint click signaled someone had locked the door. Now I was trapped alone with whatever grabbed me.
                “Aria!” Cameron pounded on the door, “Are you in there?! Why is the door locked!?”
                Tears began to stream from my eyes, “Cameron! Help…”
                My voice slowly died off into nothing as I sobbed into my knees.
                He can’t hear you.
                My heart seemed to stop and my eyes franticly searched the room. I couldn’t see who was talking to me but they could see me. The pounding continued on the door.
                “Please let me out.” I begged.
                I’ve been lonely for far too long.
                “Please! I’ll give you anything you want. Just let me go!”
                A high pitched laugh rang throughout the room, stinging my eardrums. I looked to where the laugh came from and saw a figure in the standing corner, behind the door. The only feature I could make out was his eyes. They were bloodshot and the pupils seemed unnaturally large.
                I would really like some company.
                My cries became more desperate, “But I don’t belong here! I have a family!”
                The world seemed to stop and I could feel his patience disappearing.
                Please. Stay with me. You’ll be happy.
                “I won’t! I don’t like it here!”
                I’m afraid I won’t take no for an answer.
Then he suddenly lunged towards me with unbelievable speed and the last thing I heard was my own scream before the world went black.

No comments:

Post a Comment