Friday, October 7, 2011

[RE] Wasting Food

"Yeah I know me eating that grain of rice isn’t going to make the other people full or anything but to me it’s something important to not waste food."
This quote is from Julie Le's blog.

I feel the same way about food. For example, some days at lunch I go buy some food and by the time I have to leave to get back to school on time I’ve barely dented into my meal. It’s a complete waste. And usually it’s not in a sealable container that I could put into my bag so I could save it till afterschool, so what do you expect me to do? I’m forced to throw it away.
It makes me feel guilty knowing of all the starving children and their families that would love to have it, and here I am tossing it away like it’s worthless to me. And some people do think it’s worthless. They buy more than they need or let things get stale. People nowadays definitely don’t appreciate things as much as they should.
This reminds me of the book The Hunger Games. In it many of the poorer districts’ families starve every day. Some even die from starvation. Katniss, the main character, is from one of the poorest districts and is used to only eating cheap grained bread, thin soup, and whatever she catches hunting. Later when she is in the Hunger Games training they feed her fancy, delicious meals she’s never dreamed of tasting. You can tell how much she appreciates the food. One thing she really enjoyed was hot cocoa. We can make that anytime in a matter of seconds. You heat up the water, pour in the powder, and voila! You got yourself some warm and creamy hot cocoa.
I think the author was referring to starving people in other countries. Many people are faced with this same ordeal on a daily basis. Even families in the United States don’t know where they’re going to find their next meal! It’s a tragic, overwhelming issue that’s going to take many years or even decades to solve but I think it should be made a priority to solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment